Tag Archives: character

Inquisitor Quixote pt2

Still not totally satisfied with the weapons and equipment, and want to make him more WYSIWYG, but will have to come up with the right arms and weapons to magnetize, and I’d like to avoid breaking the pose I have so far. I realized that since I have been using this guy as an #Ironstrider he ought to have a larger base, and this gives me a chance to bring more characters and story to the model. I picked out a few side characters and am planning to magnetize them all to a little diorama. #40k #miniature #admech. . .

Texture map tiling

Last week I brought my camera to the secret laboratory and shot a ton of texture reference of the VN armor, LINK so now I’ve been banging my head againsed this for the last three days.

I’m working on texture maps and I’m getting some weird edges and tiling, seems like the model is repeating the diffuse map. I have played with the tiling but it repeats and centers the map, wondering if its something that can be fixed from your side, is it a normals thing or a UV map in the OBJ?

Right now I’m importing the texture in iClone and opening the texture in photoshop, edit…update…edit… there has got to be a better way to paint this map but not sure what it is.

you can see the tiling more clearly here, its as if each face repeats the same diffuse map centered on the face of the obj.

I’ve heard the new photoshop can paint directly on OBJs, but i don’t have access to it right now, I tried using this uvmapper, but I’m not sure what I’m doing – http://www.uvmapper.com

I know there must be a way to ‘unwrap’ a model to get the texture to stretch across the whole thing.

Minor update:

I’m pulling reference of the UV maps and it seems like that is the problem. I must be overwriting the UV data while I’m doing teh textures;

You can see here that the end caps are placed over the unwrapped sides;

That is in comparison to this, which is the UV ref from a primative generated from within iClone;

I’m still unsure how to fix this, but I feel like I must be getting closer…

Minor Update #2

I’ve spent a couple more hours putting together teste and think I’m getting closer to understanding whats happening, but I still think there must be a better way to do this.


Here are three different tests. The first from the left is a primitive generated from inside iClone, the texture is wrapping properly, the UV ref seems to map correctly, however I am NOT going to try and create the whole model from this method, the shapes are just too complicated to make without a real modeling tool set.

On the right is the first exported prop, generated from the OBJ. It seems like I must have replaced the OBJs UV and regenerated it through iClone, which appears to have overlaid the side and front faces causing the tiling problem. As far as I can tell there is no way to revert this UV swap.
Using OBJ’s UV in iClobe
Replacing UV in iClone

In the center is the OBJ imported and using it’s native UV, which is supposed to map like this;

But as you can see it isn’t. There is a split happening in the middle and it seems to be grabbing from the ‘back’ to fill it…


Seems like I’m closer and further away at the same time.

VN digital stuntman

I’ve been continuing some of the experimenting with iClone for my digital stuntmen, and

First I wanted to see if I could match light and camera the model into the shot, and try a little bit of animation;

Then I tried moving the armor parts away from the iAvatar to try and make the “explosion” feel a bit bigger.

I’ve even gotten a bit of modeling assistance from my friend and ex-coworker James Sathre, here I’ve begun swapping in modeled parts for my own kit-bashed ones;

Gynoid Digital stuntman


I’ve been attempting using IClone for all my digital characters, including doubles for actors. I’ve been calling these “Digital Stuntmen”. This is a continuation of the project I started here; iClone; Brad Isdrab, digital stuntman (part 1)


This is testing new Gynoid texture maps with some quick bump maps and using Image Based Lighting. I’m seeing a lot more realism in the surface textures coming through from the bump maps and I think they will bridge the gap created by the low-res IClone models. I’ve been geeking out on tweaking the Reflection, Refraction, the amount of IBL influence, the Ambient Occlusion…

approx 3hrs work, lighting/texturing.

The next steps will be further cleaning the texture map, refining the bumpmap, and looking for other ways to improve it.

Since I had it all set I wanted to see it in motion, so here it is with very little anim, watch in Hi-Res…

The anim is *very* wonky, but my main concern was just to see her in the scene. It isn’t quite photorealistic, yet, but its come a long way since my first Image-based Lighting test with just the mapped texture on the model.

Gynoid Kick

In Progress; Gynoid dolls Have and Have not

Resin parts cast for three more gynoid dolls #dollfie #bjd
Update – Completed Dolls here

I’ve been busy making more of my resin dolls, these ones will be exhibited at Varnish gallery in San Francisco April 7th in the Have and Have not show

I’ll be posting more as I get them closer…
Work in Progress gallery on Flickr

The Have and Have Not Group Show
curated by Lee Ballard
April 7 – April 28, 2012

ARTIST RECEPTION: Saturday April 7, 5-8pm

The Have and Have Not Group Show features fine artworks of various media by Jon Wayshak, Rick Berry, Robert Bowen, Kiyoshi Nakazawa, Brad Isdrab, Morning Breath/Doug Cunningham, Scott Cambell, Lucien Shapiro, Barron Storey, Sam Keith, Lee Ballard, Ian Ameling, John Watkiss, and Rogelio Martinez.

Varnish Fine Art
16 Jessie Street, #C120
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 433-4400

Five gynoid dolls assembled #bjdvarnishfineart.com

Gynoid Kick

I threw this test together going for some anime-style over the top action with this to try out in-progress models of the VN and Gynoid and see how iClone’s Destruct-able props worked.