Put together this photo scan set up with a coworker and scanned the puppet to see what results we could get. Wwe rotated the #loadr #stopmotion #puppet in front of a DLSR and flooded it with light, and shoot several angles/passes for #photogrammetry. Going to make a 3D asset out of it. #drabfuture
Category Archives: Drab Future
Continued from the experiments here; http://bradisdrab.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/air-mortar-pt3/
Not quite ready for “real” pyro, but feeling pretty good about the compressed air rig and battery operated valve, I decided to apply it towards an effect I wanted for Drab Future.
Here is what I was looking at as reference. Specifically I wanted to use it for a blood squib effect and having someone lose an arm. I knew it could explode so it was a matter of seeing how much of a blast it produces, if it is safe for an actor to wear and exactly how it looks/works. I’d never strap it to someone else before testing it on myself first, so here goes;
Its been a long road, from prototypes to molds/casting/assembly and painting, but I’m proud to announce that the new Drab future toys will be available through the Zerofriends web store this Friday, (Tomorrow!) and I can’t wait to see what everyone does with theirs.
I’d hoped to do a full write-up including tutorial videos for each step of the process, but sadly my phone was stolen before I could unload all the material I’d been recording. Fortunately I did manage to document a lot of the process and am able to share that with you now.
I created prototypes for each of the seven characters in Drab Future. These began as kit-bashed models based from various toys, won from skee-ball games, purchased from grocery stores and randomly aquired.
I spent hours sourcing the best parts to match the character’s costumes and props.
I looked awhile for the a good way to mimic the texture of Casey Jones’ ghillie suit, who also began as a skee-bll prize firefighter, and eventually I settled on using gauze, treated with wax and liguid sculpy, and resculpted with a soldering iron.
When it was time to make the molds I produced elaborate vent/sprues to direct the flow of resin and prevent air bubbles.
Next came clean-up, each toy needed a bit of time with the dremel and x-acto to have it’s sprue and flashing removed. I decided to leave the slight imperfections such as air-bubbles as a mark of their creation, a bit of character to each one.