Tag Archives: sci-fi

LOADR rigging

Computer is working better than ever after getting the full 24gb RAM configured, and playing with a little rigging in maya digital version of my photo scanned stop motion puppet
.  .  .

The #LOADR has working joints now, but still working on the skinning to fix a few spots. The full clip is here https://youtu.be/2El86ZvSds4
.  .  .


Drab Future toy production

toys_logo

Its been a long road, from prototypes to molds/casting/assembly and painting, but I’m proud to announce that the new Drab future toys will be available through the Zerofriends web store this Friday, (Tomorrow!) and I can’t wait to see what everyone does with theirs.

I’d hoped to do a full write-up including tutorial videos for each step of the process, but sadly my phone was stolen before I could unload all the material I’d been recording. Fortunately I did manage to document a lot of the process and am able to share that with you now.

UntitledLetting the second batch of resin toys cure #drabfutureUntitledCast two of each toy as well as parts for 2 gynoid dolls #drabfuture

I created prototypes for each of the seven characters in Drab Future. These began as kit-bashed models based from various toys, won from skee-ball games, purchased from grocery stores and randomly aquired.

protocrop

For each I sculpted their costumes over top the base model, and built accessories to show all the details.
Untitled

For John Henry I began with a firefighter toy which was a skeeball prize, won from a local arcade.
Untitled

needed to completely resculpt the face and mask, and add the straps and elements of his space suit.
Untitled

I spent hours sourcing the best parts to match the character’s costumes and props.

I looked awhile for the a good way to mimic the texture of Casey Jones’ ghillie suit, who also began as a skee-bll prize firefighter, and eventually I settled on using gauze, treated with wax and liguid sculpy, and resculpted with a soldering iron.
UntitledUntitled

IMG_7790

When it was time to make the molds I produced elaborate vent/sprues to direct the flow of resin and prevent air bubbles.

Untitled

Untitled

I used around three gallons of silicone for the full set of molds.
Had to go a bit heavy with the filler, almost didn't have enough silicone, but the last three toy molds should be ready to open tonight!

Most of the prototypes did not survive the demolding process.
The witness prototype didn't survive de-molding, but the mold should be good and I can always kitbash his remains #drabfuture

One of the most exciting stages was seeing all the molds set up and preparing to pour resin for the first casts.
30 molds, 4 gallons of resin, gynoid dolls and drab future toys ready to cast

Two gallons of resin later I had an army of raw castings.
Edition of five Drab future toys cast. Finished off 2gallons of resin, now time to clean and paint them up

Next came clean-up, each toy needed a bit of time with the dremel and x-acto to have it’s sprue and flashing removed. I decided to leave the slight imperfections such as air-bubbles as a mark of their creation, a bit of character to each one.
Untitled

Then primer for basecoats
Primer! Starting with 2 sets of toys to fully paint, #drabfuture

Weathering and washes of powdered pigment
IMG_4195

And a bit of hand-painting
Untitled

The finished set
IMG_7783

IMG_7819

IMG_8524

Zerofriends Store


Vader Strikes Back; Production design

I was asked to help out with some production design for a video with The Stunt People. This is the follow up to their viral “Vader Strikes” First-person goPro lightsaber duel video. This also gave me the chance to work with my friend Alain Bloch of the Golden Gate Knights, the san Francisco based lightsabre choreography group I’ve been a part of over the last year.

As usual I’ve documented the full process; Full gallery

After scouting the locations I constructed a bunch of props that would fit into the scenes and sell the illusion that we weren’t on earth anymore. I created five light pillars, a collapsible door, various wall panels, a working monitor panel, warning lights, and a working Airlock door.

Untitled

Untitled

The light pillars were multi function light sources, pulse/flash/flicker.

Ready for the shoot with @thestuntpeople now to figure out how to get it on my car and over the bridge

The Airlock door was able to open and close via a system of pulleys which I designed with help from Props2c

This was a great project and lot of fun to pull together in a couple weeks.