Monthly Archives: August 2013

Drab Future toy production

toys_logo

Its been a long road, from prototypes to molds/casting/assembly and painting, but I’m proud to announce that the new Drab future toys will be available through the Zerofriends web store this Friday, (Tomorrow!) and I can’t wait to see what everyone does with theirs.

I’d hoped to do a full write-up including tutorial videos for each step of the process, but sadly my phone was stolen before I could unload all the material I’d been recording. Fortunately I did manage to document a lot of the process and am able to share that with you now.

UntitledLetting the second batch of resin toys cure #drabfutureUntitledCast two of each toy as well as parts for 2 gynoid dolls #drabfuture

I created prototypes for each of the seven characters in Drab Future. These began as kit-bashed models based from various toys, won from skee-ball games, purchased from grocery stores and randomly aquired.

protocrop

For each I sculpted their costumes over top the base model, and built accessories to show all the details.
Untitled

For John Henry I began with a firefighter toy which was a skeeball prize, won from a local arcade.
Untitled

needed to completely resculpt the face and mask, and add the straps and elements of his space suit.
Untitled

I spent hours sourcing the best parts to match the character’s costumes and props.

I looked awhile for the a good way to mimic the texture of Casey Jones’ ghillie suit, who also began as a skee-bll prize firefighter, and eventually I settled on using gauze, treated with wax and liguid sculpy, and resculpted with a soldering iron.
UntitledUntitled

IMG_7790

When it was time to make the molds I produced elaborate vent/sprues to direct the flow of resin and prevent air bubbles.

Untitled

Untitled

I used around three gallons of silicone for the full set of molds.
Had to go a bit heavy with the filler, almost didn't have enough silicone, but the last three toy molds should be ready to open tonight!

Most of the prototypes did not survive the demolding process.
The witness prototype didn't survive de-molding, but the mold should be good and I can always kitbash his remains #drabfuture

One of the most exciting stages was seeing all the molds set up and preparing to pour resin for the first casts.
30 molds, 4 gallons of resin, gynoid dolls and drab future toys ready to cast

Two gallons of resin later I had an army of raw castings.
Edition of five Drab future toys cast. Finished off 2gallons of resin, now time to clean and paint them up

Next came clean-up, each toy needed a bit of time with the dremel and x-acto to have it’s sprue and flashing removed. I decided to leave the slight imperfections such as air-bubbles as a mark of their creation, a bit of character to each one.
Untitled

Then primer for basecoats
Primer! Starting with 2 sets of toys to fully paint, #drabfuture

Weathering and washes of powdered pigment
IMG_4195

And a bit of hand-painting
Untitled

The finished set
IMG_7783

IMG_7819

IMG_8524

Zerofriends Store